Monday, July 28, 2008

So the Trek Begins...

Sorry that it has been so long! There was no free internet in Paris and, being the cheap person that I am, I decided to wait for the free internet here in Madrid to post.

We all managed to make to Paris in one piece, though we lost 4 bags in the process and got two of us stuck in the Madrid airport for a day. In Paris, we managed to hit up the major sights, like the Eiffel Tower, Arce de Triumph and Notre Dame. We also had a bakery next to our hostel, so we had fresh crossaints and baguettes every morning. We left Paris Saturday night at 10 PM and took 3 trains and 20 hours to get to Madrid. So far we´ve had Tapas and we´re relaxing this morning. After I go back downstairs to our rooms, we will be heading out to see what Madrid has to offer.

In order not to bore you, I will attempt to do a little more than just give a play by play of what we´ve done, and will instead try to include some observations on my part. This trip has been such an experience in terms of independence and responsibilty. We have had to traverse language barriers like crazy. Less people speak English than we thought, and none of us can speak French. Many meals have involved pointing at some unknown item on the menu and using hand signals. We´ve been navigating foreign metros, and we´ve only gotten lost a few times. We´ve had to cancel hostel reservations, make new ones, fight with the hostel oweners to get money back, switch train schedules last minute, and all sorts of fun things like that. I´ve been learning so much about this end of the world and learning how to be responsible.

Another observation. All my clothes smell. A lot.

I will try to post again soon. I miss you all!

No comments: