Monday, August 25, 2008

Of Italian Palaces...

I'm in Vienna!   I know, I know.  I'm finally here.   I got back from Mariazell yesterday.  My roommates and I moved into our apartment yesterday afternoon. It is absolutely incredible!  I am living in the 9th district, which is a residential area in the middle of the city. The apartment itself is huge and very, very nice.  Definitely the nicest apartment I will be in for a LONG time! We have a nice kitchen, a big living room, bathroom, two bedrooms, and tons of storage space.  If anyone wants to visit Vienna, I have two couches that turn into beds!  The area around our apartment is full of food, bars, stores, etc.  It's about a 5-7 minutes to the U-Bahn and about 10 minutes on the U-Bahn to the IES Center.

The IES Center is in a palace built a few hundred years ago by an Italian member of the Hapsburg Empire.  Yeah.  It really is a freaking palace. There is gold EVERYWHERE and even more marble.  There are statues and art all over.  I am learning in classrooms that used to be ballrooms.  I will put up pictures later.  It's in the 1st district, which is within walking distance of all of these incredible markets, opera houses, and theaters.  As you can tell, I am very excited about all of this.

I got to see Stephen yesterday for a few hours.  It was sooooo nice!

I'm going to Bratislava this weekend with a few girls.  Fun!  (For those of you who haven't taken Geography in a while, Bratislava is the capital or Slovakia.) Should be pretty interesting.

I had my first German class today.  I am in advanced German (5th level).  I will be having German 3 hours a day for the next 3 weeks, which sucks. But I feel like I am already getting so much better at my German.  My teacher is a late-20s woman who seems really cool.

Update me, people.  Seriously.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vienna seems amazing! I can't wait to see pictures. Your italian plaza definitely beats out my physics lab in corcoran hall :)

I am presently sitting among the disaster that is my room. I just got back from Aruba so my stuff is everywhere and i also have to now pack to go back to school on Friday. And as horrible as classes sound right now, the week spent entirely with my family makes me really want to get out of my house.

Unknown said...

Okay, so you may have class in a palace, but I galloped (yes, thats right, on horses!) next to the pyramids through the desert tonight...it was AMAZING!!!

My internet has been, um, frustrating to say the least, but its working now, so I'll update the blog/post pictures tomorrow.

I'm glad your having a good time, and say to Stephen for me the next time you see him! :D

Gary said...

So, you're saying that your current residence is more opulent than your manor in Blue Springs. Shocked, I am, shocked. (Hey - steal some of the gold fixtures for us, huh?) Yes, shocked.

You should spend your trip in Slovakia talking about how wonderful Prague is. That should warm them to you. Of course, the likelihood that they will understand a word that you say, and vice versa, is not exactly overwhelming, assuming the same alphabet barrier that you experienced on the Czech side. Still, you could keep saying, "Prague! Prague!" with a big smile on your face.

Well, keep advancing your German another 50 light years past what I'll ever understand. I won't be bitter. Not at all. Nope.

Tschuess! (Right?)

Anonymous said...

damn... Reading about everyones amazing times is making me feel like a huge waste of life.... and looser...